Wednesday, May 18, 2011

HW 55

Coments

Leah- 
I loved this, I was actually really interested in the topic you chose to do your project on. I think that the Hindu culture focuses more on the morning and celebration of the deceased life rather than appearance of the burial ground and or cost. I thought it was interesting that they crack the skull in order to release the soul from the body , even though it seems a little gore-ish it makes sense. Its almost as if a person's soul is trapped in the vessel(they're body) once they die so they need to be released. Religion really plays a huge role in the Hindu culture and its shown by they're social dominant practices.
"In the Hindu culture, they will bring their sick loved ones home with them to die peacefully instead of hospitals. It is Hindu custom for the family to build a shelter and perform a fire ritual (homa) in order to bless nine brass pots and one clay pot. In absence of a shelter a fire is made at home. Relating back to the cremation only men can attend it, women are forbidden."
They're social dominant practice with funerals seems to be a home funeral, which seems far fetched in the states and most people don't know about them.

Steph-
I liked christina's and Salathen's views on death, you wont know what hurts or whats being done with your body cause your dead and wont feel it. I think that puts ease to my mind (and possibly others) when I think about death. I like how you question your own actions when it comes to drawing a cross on your chest and kissing your hand to the sky. I also wondered why people did this and will probably ask or do some research on it. Your video was nicely put together and was interesting to watch.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Comments left on my blog. . .

Larche
Ally,

I liked your elevator speech, which brought me to your blog. I liked that you decided to make an informative brochure on the alternative burial options compared to a conventional one. I liked that the brochure had pictures of each one and and little story and info on the burial and why it was chosen.

Jay
Seeing your brochure for a few seconds in class made me want to come to your blog. I thought the idea was very original and I liked that you decided to go your own way with it. The simplicity of your brochure is great and something like this should be implemented in the funeral society. Something like this could be of great use to families who are in too much grieving to research care of the dead option. They could simply pick up a brochure like this and learn more about different techniques quickly, and they could then research further into the ones they are interested in.

David
After seeing your presentation in class I wanted to learn more on different types of burials. I really liked the brochure you made on introducing alternative burials to those that aren't familure with them. For my project I also looked into Home Funerals which made me want to look more in depth about it and from your brochure I got some extra information like the prices of a Home Funeral. I really liked that you made your brochure easy to read, included the key information, and had three burial types instead of the dominate practice.

No comments:

Post a Comment