Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Extra Credit



  • Spend at least a half hour each walking around two or more cemeteries. Post 3-5 paragraphs of your reactions and thoughts and include a small photo with you in each cemetery.
     Javon Lucy and I decided to go to the two cemeteries near the brooklyn bridge, one was next to the trinity church and the other was on Broadway. Walking through a cemetery wasnt as scary as I expected it to be, it was interesting to read the tomb stones and find out information about the person who died. Most of the dates were in the 18 hundreds and surprisingly many of the people who were buried there died very young. The tomb stones were very old and gritty and had no flowers, I didnt expect the tombstones to be very pretty since they been there for so long but I did expect to see flowers and candles.
      While we were at the cemetery by the Trinity church we saw a group of children playing and running around the cemetary which I found very interesting. It made me think back to Skip's visit and how he thought that children should be exposed to death and not be taught to fear it. Although you shouldnt shove death in a childs face but I think its important to know that death is real and it happens. They seemed to be on a trip or a play date with a babysitter and I wondered if theyre parents knew that they were there, and how they would feel about that. I also wondered why the chaporone took them there, did they ask about death? Did they decide that they wanted to visit one or did they have absolutly no idea that they were running around and over a dead person.
    Seeing the cemetery actually convinced me that the social dominant practice of a funeral and or burial isnt something I want. In a few years I would be walked over and that thought doesnt sit well with me. The tomb stone writting fades and deterierates, and sooner or later people will stop visiting and leaving flowers and candles. I wouldnt be thought about, I'd just be rotting underground.

No comments:

Post a Comment