Sunday, May 8, 2011

HW 52

Precis- A plain pine box, backyard burial, burial at sea and an memorial reef are four alternatives to the social dominat practice of a "normal" funeral. They are both inexpensive compared to the dominant practice, both of these alternatives have been around longer than the traditional funeral but yet are but on the back burner.

Quotes
"The EPA requires that you scatter ashes at sea at least three miles from the nearest shoreline, excpet in California, where ashes may be strewn as close as five hundred yards." - pg 83

"New York allows ashes to be dropped right off the docks jutting into Great South Bay" - pg 83

- Learned about the Clan Water Act

"No federal or state law prohibits you from preforming either tyoe if sea burial yourself, as long as you obey the pertinent laws"- pg 84

"When you boil it all down there are just three things you can do with someones ashes. You can inturn them, whether in an urn, niche, columbarium, or just up on a shelf. You can scatter and that can be blasthing the ashes in fireworks or sprinkling in the ocean. Or you can reef them."- George Frankel pg 87

"When my 7 year old daughter Alison died in the hospital, there weas one thing that I knew for certain in all the turmoil and tumult that surrounded my family: I was not letting her out of my sight; I was not surrendering my last vestige I had of her vibrant and loving being to the care of strangers. I would continue to care for her myself as I had always done" - Beth Knox ( thoughts on her daughters home funeral) pg 103

"All states except New York, Connecticut, Nebraska, Indiana, Michigan, Utah and Louisian permit families to care for their own dead at home." - pg 118


"One customer from Sioux City commissioned us to build him a simple. pine casket. Rope handles, no finish, no hinges, no interior. Just a bare-bones box. He told me he wanted to make a statement: the casket is simply a vessal for another vessal that were done with, Theres no reason to get carried away. "- Loren Schieur pg 125

"A few states- including California, Indiana and Washington - require their residents to bury their dead in established cemeteries." - pg 156 

"No state law requires that a body be buried in a casket or other container."- pg 157

No comments:

Post a Comment